A new old story

When I participated in NaNoWriMo 2006, I felt I'd written an extremely strong story but after months and months of editing, I found it was flawed. Deeply flawed. So I did what any good writer does in this situation. I scraped it and began anew. Now, a week into those serious rewrites, a new story emerged based on the instant information, instant judgment mode in this internet controlled world. (And doesn't that sound like an idea for a story.) But nothing new now. I have too much on my platter and NaNo will begin in five weeks.

My rewrite contains strong compelling main and secondary characters. The plot line revolves around a teen caught up in a lie but no way to escape the web around her until she remembers an event that injured one of her close friends. These characters aren't frustrating me. In fact, they're fascinating me as I develop their story. Told in a blend of first and third person, I'm using flashback (well, hopefully) to fill in the gaps as my gal fixes her memory while preparing for a legal defense instead of college. Again, the situation is based on realism. Like the cases of Drew Peterson, Casey Anderson, and Sam Parker. Do I want to write real life stories? No but fiction for teens should focus on the reality surrounding all of us. And this is as real as it gets by addressing issues like making the right choice.

Comments