Interview: Bec Janson

As part of a writing exercise I learned at Springmingle, I'm 'interviewing' my characters to learn more about them. Today, we have a guest with us. Her name is Rebecca Anne Janson but prefers we call her Bec. She has a story to tell, one she hopes other teens will hear. Welcome, Bec. Tell us something about you.

BJ: Well, I'm just a teen. Turned eighteen a few months back, on Valentines Day. My dad gave me a cool gift, but I put it off until I graduated.

KC: Tell us about your dad. What's he like?

BJ: Well, he's the district attorney for Wallis County. Kind of cool. Everyone at school thinks they can ask me to get them off stupid stuff like traffic tickets and curfew violations but I can't.

KC: What about your mom?

BJ: She died years ago, when I was four. That's when we found out I can't eat peanuts. They make me really sick.

KC: Oh, an allergy. Is that why you wear a MedicAlert bracelet?

BJ: Yeah. (Laughs but it's nervous.) I kind of went nuts after Mom died. Dad took me to work. Which is, I mean, kind of silly but I loved it at the time. He's so awesome when he's going after a defendant. Dad hates anyone who breaks the law. He wants them in prison for as long as possible.

KC: Which brings us to the e-mail I received about your problem. How do you feel about having your dad trying to put you in prison?

BJ: I didn't do it. Yeah. I know all defendants say that but I really didn't do it. See, the person who contacted you, Ev Tinker, he's the person I supposedly killed. Kind of strange for a ghost to send an e-mail.

KC: Sure is. Just what are you talking about? Convince me this isn't a hoax.

BJ: Well, see, I made a bunch of bad decisions after my eighteenth birthday. At the time, I figured they were okay but now I know they weren't. Then a guy I dated decided to use my stupidity. And, well, you know. It all messed up at graduation.

KC: I can see it's hard for you to talk about. Why don't we go back to growing up watching your dad in court. Can you tell us some more about that?

BJ: Yeah! (Smiles.) It was the greatest. See, I thought I'd lose him like I did Mom so he took me to prove I wouldn't. I would color in a book while he worked. And, you know, I think all those guys wouldn't cuss because I was there. Like it would be a bad thing in front of a little kid. I never heard anyone swear, even after the judge sentenced them to a long time in prison. (Sighs.) Then some dumb reporter ruined it by taking a bunch of pictures of me. He put them in the local paper and called me Pigtail Princess.

KC: How did that make you feel?

BJ: Dumb. Like I couldn't have a life because of what my dad did. It's so stupid. Why do I have to be perfect so he can keep his job? What I do isn't about him.

KC: But a district attorney is a politician. What their families do reflect on how they handle their lives.

BJ: So not! It's my life. I'm eighteen. Why should what I do reflect on him? Why can't I mess up and not have to worry about ruining his career?

KC: Wow! That's intense. I guess you're right. So, how are you working things out to prove you didn't do whatever the police accused you of doing?

BJ: Well, stuff like this. And posting on MySpace. And using Twitter for updates on my status. Things like that. A lot of teens support me. I don't know about some of them, though. They keep asking me to help them get out of trouble after I can come into the open.

KC: Why don't you want to help them?

BJ: Because I don't know for sure if they really are innocent. It's not about getting away with breaking the law. It's about making the real criminal pay.

KC: Who is the real criminal in your case?

BJ: I can't say right now.

KC: Have you thought about talking to a lawyer.

BJ: They all know my dad. I don't know what I'll do next.

She ran off at that point. Not sure what she means. I do hope she finds someone she trusts enough to figure out her problem. Tomorrow, another player in this fiasco joins us. Stay tuned.

Comments