Wet, Wild, and Wow

I've heard far too many times how writers should write about what we experience. Our characters are richer for the experiences. The depths of plot and story draw on those experiences to draw in the reader to the highs and lows. To that end, I find myself drawn to document the recent floods in Georgia and Tennessee along with family dynamics into a tale of growth and revelation, of pain and loss.

How much hardness does a character need to evolve into someone relating a compelling story? Does that character need to find a toughness to deal with a harsh world? Can he/she retain some of the innocence where a belief in family remains even though he/she knows with absolute certainty nothing can go back to the illusion he/she lost?

A new tale forms in my head as I clean up from the waters that ripped through my home this month. The same pain and loss of illusionment strengthens my character as I develop her likes and dislikes, her hopes and dreams, her acceptance of a situation far beyond her control. Where it will go is anyone's guess at this point but I feel somewhere deep within her she will find acceptance at some point and become a person ready to take on a world consumed with shallow goals but remain someone dedicated to following her dreams.

Comments

Tina M. Russo said…
Intriguing plot ideas!

Sometimes the best writing comes from digging deep and stirring the uncomfortable, even painful places inside us.
Donna Alice said…
I think you've got another great idea. As the saying goes, it's all grist for the mill - although the thought of being a mill is somehow daunting!