Finding a bit of myself in my characters

I've spent quite a bit of time lately seeing bits and pieces of myself in my characters but perhaps the strongest story so far involves a teen caught up in the middle of a high school with an increasing drinking problem. She's against it and those for it are the 'in crowd' the teens ready to do whatever it takes to continue their lifestyle. So, I wonder, as I take this story to its completion, if I am really ready to unleash so many of my insecurities on the world. Or maybe I should just give it a shot and see what comes of this.

My character learns how real life is when tragedy completely destroys her clique. I've learned this lesson far too many times. She fights back. I have, sometimes. Others, I set the action to story and provide a resolution I avoided. Maybe my imagination is setting me on a path to resolve unresolved issues in the same way my characters do.

Time shall see.

Comments

Donna Alice said…
Love your new book and think it's going to be great! I think we all find a little of ourselves in our characters -- and I heard what you just said about Jenny!! :)
KC Sprayberry said…
Yeah for you. I think all the characters writers create have a basis in reality, whether it's people we've met or ourselves. May we continue to do this, and find answers to our deep, abiding questions.