Guest Post: How To Do A Book Event by: Nancy Curteman (Author of Murder Down Under)


After my Library Book Event I received several questions from my blog readers and other authors about how I planned and presented the event. There are probably many different answers to the question: How to do a Book Event. So, I will share my process.

My first step was to contact my local library and speak with the events planner. We agreed on a Book Event date and time.

My next step was to determine the agenda for the event based on the tine allotted to me and share it with the events planner. She allotted me an hour and a half with an additional 20 minutes to set up. She arranged seating and advertising. In addition, I posted some flyers in places that had bulletin boards—Starbucks, Pete’s Coffee

So, here is the agenda I created and how the actual event worked:

10:40 I arrive and set up my table. On the table I displayed my books and recipes for foods mentioned in my mystery book—Lamingtons, Pavlova and ANZAC Biscuits. I also baked six dozen ANZAC Biscuits for attendees to taste.

11:00 I mingled with people as they gathered for the event while my husband assisted me by selling books to those interested in purchasing them.

11:15 I shared a brief introductory piece about myself. I talked about my earliest writing experiences, influences on me as an author, my blog, the novels I had already published. I explained why and how I started writing mysteries.

11:30 I described my writing style which is character driven and contrasted it with plot driven writing.

11:40 I shared a synopsis of the novel I was highlighting for the event, “Murder Down Under.”

11:50 I described the traits and origin of three of my main characters and two of my secondary characters.

12:15 I took questions, sign books.

12:30 The event ended, but people stayed to chat and ask more questions.

Why have a Book Event rather than just a book signing? Simple, it provides a great opportunity to interact with readers, it sells books and it’s fun.

Now take that leap in the dark and plan your own Book Event.

Comments

Jan Moran said…
Nice post :) I found your great blog through the WLC Blog Follows on the World Literary Cafe! Great to connect! Come say hello at www.janmoranwrites.com
J.Rose Allister said…
Tht's a great idea, Nancy. I like the whole concept of an "event", which offers people more than just "buy my book and I'll sign it".

I found your great blog through the WLC Blog Follows on the World Literary Cafe! Great to connect!