The Orb of Truth (Book 1 in the Four Horn Series) by: Brae Wyckoff



 
Today on Out of Control Characters, we're talking to Brae Wyckoff, author of The Orb of Truth, Book 1 of the Four Horns series. Before we start, a little more information about this delightful book I had a chance to read this week:

 


Synopsis:

In the hundreds of years since the Holy City disappeared, darkness has fallen over the land. Human kingdoms have seized control of the realm, scattering the other races into hiding.

Bridazak, a skilled thief, and his friends, a Dwarf and a fellow Ordakian, have dared to remain within the human communities and live relatively quiet lives, until they discover a mysterious, magical artifact. The three friends are thrust into an adventure that will challenge their faith, their purpose, and their destiny as they chase a forgotten and lost prophecy across the realm of Ruauck-El, where they hope to discover the origins of the strange item and their place in its history.

An ancient, unknown enemy threatens the completion of their journey at every turn. Bridazak is about to face the biggest adventure of his life, one that may change the known realm, and answer the questions he has carried all his life. Will they unlock the truth?

Wow! Even though I've already read this book, I want to read it again. It sounds very fascinating. Now, to introduce Brae:

And now we get down to the nitty gritty. Oh, I just love these character interviews. We get to know about how they feel about their story.
 

For the author:

1.      Talk to us about The Orb of Truth

The Orb of Truth is a classic adventure set in a realm filled with good vs evil, magic, and intrigue. I love to take my readers on an incredible journey where they will be whisked away from reality and become friends with the rich characters of Ruauck-El. If you love Lord of the Rings then you will love The Orb of Truth, first book of the series. The sequel is due out later this year (2013) and is called The Dragon God.

 

2.      Author Bio

Brae Wyckoff was born and raised in San Diego, CA and is working toward a Psychology degree. He has been married to his beautiful wife, Jill, for 20 years, and they have three children; Tommy, Michelle, and Brittany. He has a beautiful grandson named Avery. Brae has been an avid gamer since 1985. His passion for mysterious realms and the supernatural inspired him to write The Orb of Truth, the first in a series of fantasy action adventures. Brae describes The Orb of Truth as a cross between the Lord of the Rings and the Wizard of OZ where you will be swept away into a magical land of Dwarves, Elves, and Halflings.

 

For the character: Bridazak

1.      Introduce yourself to our readers. Where do you fit into the story? What should we know about you?

Hello everyone. My name is Bridazak. This is my first interview ever so I’m a little nervous. Halflings don’t do these kinds of things normally.

Well, Brae Wyckoff and I first met over twenty years ago when roleplaying Dungeons and Dragons. That is where I told him of my story and he wanted to write about it. You see I was an orphaned Ordakian, Halfling for those who don’t know what an ordakian is, anyway, I tell you this because I have always asked myself two questions. “What is my purpose in life and do I matter?”

My life was forever changed on that fateful day I met The Orb. It seems like yesterday still. Anyway, I am forever indebted to Brae for bringing my story to your world. You only have part of the story and the next books will be even better than the first. I was told not to give anything away.

 

2.      What do you think about the author? Tell us everything. We want to know.

Well, glad you asked. My take is this, Brae is a stand-up human that really has a way with words on paper to capture the surroundings and feelings of everything that transpired. Brae and I are now working on the 3rd book, The Vampire King, while the 2nd is being edited. I am amazed how Brae can take my story and write is so precisely. It is hard to believe that what he is writing actually happened to me.

Brae visits what you would call an “office”, but in Ruauck-El, we call it a tavern. His “office” is called Starbucks. We do a lot of work at this Starbucks place, talking through the story and me trying to explain the creatures of the realm so he can describe them perfectly.

I do know this, and he probably won’t like me saying so, he snores. I snuck into his house a couple times because I needed to tell him some important information that couldn’t wait and well, holy crap, this human was louder than my dwarven friend, Dulgin. I realized that I didn’t have to sneak at all. He wouldn’t hear a thing. Brae also refuses to acknowledge his nightly snorting and tells us we don’t know what we are talking about. He reminds me of Dulgin in some ways.

 

3.      What are your feelings about this story?

I realize that your world finds it entertaining, but in reality this story is my life. My feelings are heavy at times remembering the hurtful past but overall my journey has been fruitful. I can say that HOPE found me during my travels and I will never regret the outcome. When you read The Orb of Truth then you will understand what I’m talking about.

 

4.      How do you feel about being a character in this book?

I’m not sure why Brae chose me to be the focal point of this story although I play a big part in it but there are so many others who also played a big role. Don’t get me wrong, I love to be the center of attention most of the time and understand my role as a leader with my friends, but there are times when I think Brae should have highlighted others more.

 

 

5.      What do you see in your future? (No spoilers please!)

Well, I’m no fortune teller, but there are times that I get glimpses within my mind of what is to come. I have seen great things coming that I have not even told Brae yet, but he is in store to behold a great adventure himself that will rival my own.

I’m working on writing the 3rd book with Brae which revolves around Vampires but I wasn’t there most of the time as I was on my own adventure. I can’t tell you more than that, but you will understand when you read the 2nd book entitled The Dragon God.

 

6.      Is there another The Orb of Truth in the future? Will you be part of it?

 

Did you know that Brae’s original title was Bridazak the Brave? I thought it was a horrible title and I’m so thankful he changed it to The Orb of Truth.

There is only one Orb but what comes next revolves around the basis of what the first book foretold.

I am indeed part of the future books. There are so many stories to be told but so little time. Brae is working with me on the foundation of the series and then we can go back and share all the side adventures that happened with me and my friends.

I remember breaking into the Pasha’s Palace and barely escaping with my life. This is just one example of hundreds to share.

 

7.      Say a movie producer comes knocking. What actor/actress would you want to play you and why?

Brae mentioned this also, but I am uncertain as to your Hollywood realms ways. Brae showed me the Lord of the Rings movies and I was deeply enthralled. I later found out that the story was made up and I could not understand why. This Earth realm is strange, but I do fancy the talking shows.

I also saw The Avengers and though I did not understand all of the magic these heroes wielded, I did like the Jeremy Renner actor who portrayed Hawkeye. He is a natural with the bow and I feel that he could pretend to be me in one of your movies through the Hollywood town.

 

So, now that we have your interest, are you ready to find out how to follow Brae on the web, or pick up his work? Check out the links below:
Here's where you can purchase your own copy of The Orb of Truth:
And, drum roll please, here's the book trailer:
 
Just for you, we now present a surprise:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Comments

Jedi Brae said…
This was such a great interview. Bridazak had a blast and can't wait to do it again.

I do want to say that he was wrong and I DO NOT SNORE!

Thank you for having Bridazak on your blog. It meant a lot to him and to me.
Cheree Crump said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheree Crump said…
Thank you for hosting The Orb of Truth and Bridazak on your blog today! You both did Great!!!!

Brae--I am sure he was completely honest in his interview! lol
Thanks for putting up with the marvelous pest that is Brae.