The Mark of the Successor by KateMarie Collins

Today, we welcome fellow Solstice Publishing author KateMarie Collins to Out of Control Characters. Kate has quite a few books available, but today we're talking about her current release, The Mark of The Successor.



Let's get to know a bit more about KateMarie:


1.      Talk to us about The Mark of the Successor

It started as a challenge! I used to belong to an online writers group. When the group was really active, we’d throw out a single subject (sentence, situation, one word) each week. If inspiration struck, you wrote a short story on the topic. This particular week, the topic was a ‘known unknown’ – we had to take something everyone knew and write like the character had never seen it before. I chose a young, naïve child being sent to school for the first time, spotting the bus. The challenge piece itself is still in the book, as the prologue. The character, Lily, just would not get out of my head until I wrote an entire story.

 

2.      Author Bio

I was born in the late 1960’s, I currently live in Seattle Suburbia with my husband of 17 years, our two daughters, three cats, and more furry dust bunnies (thanks to the cats) than I care to count! I started writing in 2008. My first novel, Daughter of Hauk, released in 2012. The sequel to it should be out before the end of 2013.
Yes, you can find KateMarie on the web, and we have the links to make it easier for you to get there.

 
 

Now, we're going to let Lily take over. Are there any embarassing moments in store for KateMarie? We shall soon find out!


1.      Introduce yourself to our readers. Where do you fit into the story? What should we know about you?

            Um, hi. I’m Lily. I guess you’d say I’m the main character, but I’m not sure. There’s a lot more interesting people than just me.
            I grew up in a strange way. Not strange for me, because I didn’t know any better at the time. But a lot of adults tried to help. It wasn’t until Heren showed up the one day, followed by Kade and Iris that night, that I even knew there was another world that I should’ve been a part of.

2.      What do you think about the author? Tell us everything. We want to know.
            KateMarie listens really well! When she first started writing about me, I wouldn’t shut up! I kept asking her to add more to my story because I wanted to know what was next! I didn’t like everything she did, but there was a reason for it. Though I’m still pretty sad about Iris. I liked her.

3.      What are your feelings about this story?
            It needed to be told. So many people are afraid of being who they should be! Controlling another person isn’t a kindness, they aren’t looking out for you because you can’t take care of yourself. They’re more interested in what they’ll gain. Breaking free of abuse of any kind is hard, but you need to do it. You’re stronger than you think, and it’s not easy, but you’ll be happier in the end.

4.      How do you feel about being a character in this book?

I cried. A lot. KateMarie doesn’t back down from some tough situations. I know some of her other characters in other books have had it much worse than I did, so I’m pretty glad she went easy on me. But it felt so good to get to the end and know I had the strength she wanted me to have.

5.      What do you see in your future? (No spoilers please!)
            *Blush* Well, there’s the whole thing with Talin. And what’ll happen when my mom dies…but I want that to be a LONG time from now!

6.      Is there a sequel to The Mark of the Successor in the future? Will you be part of it?
            I can’t rule out a sequel, but KateMarie hasn’t been working on one. She said something about wanting to see if there was a demand for it. Her first novel is part of a trilogy, and I know she wants to get that wrapped up. But she has promised I’d be playing some role in a sequel. The idea of focusing it on Talin has crossed her mind. I’d love that! There’s so much about him I want to know….*blush*

7.      Say a movie producer comes knocking. What actor/actress would you want to play you and why?
            KateMarie absolutely loves Samantha Barks (she played Eppone in the movie version of Les Miserables), and I could see her playing me. But I’d also like to see someone who hasn’t got any big roles to their name, an unknown just starting out. After all, KateMarie’s still a relatively unknown author. Should she gain a loyal readership, she’d want to help someone else move forward career-wise as well.

Well, that's definitely more than I already know about KateMarie.

I had a chance to preview this book before its release, and let me tell you ... if you're a fantasy fan, if you love a good story of good triumphing over evil, and mostly if you absolutely adore a story where a teenager doesn't sit in a corner wailing and crying, you have found it. This book enthralled me from beginning to end. Here's what I think:

Lily has been raised as the abused and hidden child of Erena. Yet, changes are coming, changes that might or might not ensure Lily's survival in the future. The biggest change seems to be learning Lily is the stolen daughter of Keryth and Corvin, queen and king of Tiadar. Lily feels she's safe with her family now. But is she?

KateMarie Collins tale of a young woman destined for greatness, but knowing nothing of her future will delight young adult readers. The modern present blends with another world well, as Lily is transported to a society living in medieval splendor. Each word, each sentence, each paragraph is spare in its wording, but rich in meaning. Every turn of a page invites the reader to continue, to discover what happens next, and comes to an ending that while expected, still holds some surprises. I truly hope this isn't the finale of Collins' tale, but a beginning that will soon take us on another journey.
Usually, I add in a few links where you can find The Mark of the Successor, but alas we don't have those yet. This delightful book will release later this week from Solstice Publishing, at which time I'll update this blog so you can get your copy.

Thank you for visiting us today, KateMarie Collins. Here's to success in all your ventures!

Comments

Penny's Tales said…
Great interview Ladies....I always like a character interview.
Mary H. Collins said…
Great interview girls.