Review & Fun Interview: Rewrite Redemption by J.H. Walker



Ah, Friday! Another week has sped past at light speed. Before we dive into a long, hot, summer weekend, Out of Control Characters would love to bring you some information about J.H. Walker's Rewrite Redemption. We also have a summer themed fun interview.



First, we're going to check out our author, J.H. Walker.



My life has been rather unconventional. Born insanely curious into an authoritarian, religious family, I know what it’s like to not fit in. My teen years were a struggle, and I remember them in all their intensity. That’s why I like writing for young adults.
I grew up in Central America, surrounded by jungle, and was never too far from the ocean. I observed other cultures, including an indigenous tribe that, at the time, had seen little of the modern world. While there, I slept in a hammock in a bamboo hut, dressed in tribal clothing, and helped bring three babies into the world in at the tender age of fourteen. I survived a hurricane aboard an ocean liner, canoeing through alligator infested waters, P.E., my brother’s pet tarantulas, sky diving, parasailing over the Pacific shoreline, rock climbing, a ropes course blindfolded, and walking barefoot across hot coals. I’m not done having experiences.
I attended the University of Colorado, Boulder, but was so obsessed in my quest to understand human behavior; I left midstream to travel the country and study with people doing groundbreaking work in the field. I’m certified in Ericksonian Hypnosis, am a Master of Neuro-linguistic Programming and have worked with world-class athletes, including members of the U.S. Ski Team. I’ve completed advanced studies with some of the most brilliant minds of my time in the field of NLP and am a perpetual student of sociology and human behavior.
I live with my photographer husband in the foothills of the Colorado Rockies. I’m surrounded by trees. And I will always remain insanely curious.
 
Here's where you can find J.H. Walker on the web:
 
 
 
Here are J.H. Walker's thoughts on some fun summer things to do:


1.     It's almost ice cream season. What's your favorite flavor and why?
I don’t indulge often. But once in a while there’s a day where the sky is blue, the sun is shining, and the moment just screams for ice cream. My fave is Ben and Jerry’s Cherry Garcia—I like it in a cone. I think some of us never lose that childhood love for swirling it with our tongues. And as for the Cherry Garcia, I love those little bits of sweet cherries in the midst of creamy smoothness—uummm. It’s calling to me right now, sigh. Why’d you go and do that? There’s probably a pint in the freezer. Now I’m going to have to…

2.     School's out. Do you have kids? If so, how does their presence affect your writing schedule?

I have wonderful children—a son, and a daughter. They’re old enough to not impact my writing at all. They are very supportive of all my creative endeavors. But I remember back when they were young, and I’m amazed at how writers with little ones get anything done. My hat is off to them.

 3.     Do you have any plans to vacation this year? Where? Why?

We’re going to try to get away to Lake Powel on the border between Utah and Arizona. Other than my home, it’s my favorite place on the planet. It’s so quiet and peaceful there, which makes it the perfect place to lay back and let your mind just wander. It’s not your usual roundish lake. It’s actually a huge canyon 186 miles long, that’s been flooded and turned into a water reserve. The canyon walls are massive red-rock formations and are spectacular. We rent a houseboat and take it way back in the canyons to remote locations.

 You can find places where you have your own little beach and lagoon and complete privacy. The water is crystal clear and the walls of rock are absolutely breathtaking. I think it hits a primal instinct deep inside me that’s strangely soothing. There’s no clutter there—no buildings, telephone wires, billboards, or streetlights. There’s nothing but water, and rock, and sky, and at night you make a fire. I love paring down to the basic elements for a bit. It’s incredibly relaxing.

 4.     You're in the local mall. There is a group of teens nearby. Do you eye roll and head in the other direction, or do you hang around to get valuable information for your next project?

No eye rolling for me, ha. I love teenagers. If they’d talk to me, I’d love to pump them for info. I’m not one of those adults who think that my generation’s takes on hairstyles, fashion, music, etc. are the “right” ones, and that everything I’m not accustomed to is somehow “wrong.” I think that every generation has the right and almost obligation to reinvent itself, express itself…make its mark on society. Although in terms of fashion, I do have to say that Doc Martens were a heck of a lot easier on the feet and back than these six-inch heels girls are wearing today. I don’t know how anyone walks around school all day on those things. I blame TV shows like Pretty Little Liars for foisting that one on you. I say, rebel against it, ha. Go barefoot.

 5.     What's your favorite reason to fire up your barbecue?

The first beautiful spring day. I’m extremely lucky to live surrounded by nature. Have a few friends over, sit out on the back deck, talk, and watch the sun go down. Or maybe it’s just a quiet evening with my husband and I. I’ve been incredibly lucky to be married to the love of my life and best friend. That old grill has seen a lot of use. And I expect it will see a lot more in the decades to come.
 
 
 
Here's my take on this fascinating book: (Just a huge hint - I am looking forward to more of this group of friends!)
 

A.J. has a code she lives by, ten rules to remain invisible. She time travels and worries about being noticed, but she also has a lot of baggage, so the need to get through life unnoticed. Constantine did one selfish thing in his life as an Editor and is paying a high price. Then he meets A.J. and has the chance to change everything. Will that change rip them apart forever?
J.H. Walker tale of two teens caught up in time travel, one as an Editor and the other as a Shadow, in a way to draw in even the most reluctant reader. The pace is extremely fast, with a few exceptions of what feels like far too much information dumped onto the reader. The attraction between Constantine and A.J. builds slowly, and gives the reader the sense this couple is meant to be together forever, while also setting up a scenario where they are separated well.
There were a few things that jarred this story. First being the use of first person throughout, even though the story is told from A.J. and Constantine's viewpoints. The potential for confusion was great, unless the reader concentrates on details from previous chapters. Third person would have been better for this novel, to allow the reader to keep up without moving backward.
There are normal teens with extraordinary powers and tremendous responsibilities, yet they still project the sense of hanging onto what it's all about to be a teen. I loved how their attraction added to the plot rather than detracting from it.
The characters are very real. They're not perfect. Their incredible talents don't make them rock stars. There are, however, drawbacks to both A.J. and Constantine's constant dwelling on the negatives in their lives. It appears they revel in being different so much they're afraid of change.
This is a book I'd recommend for any teen interested in time travel. There are enough twists to keep them reading, and hungering for more.
 
And, wait for it ... you know something this fan-tab-ulous must have a giveaway. Oh yes, we have a giveaway today. It's a Rafflecopter, so you know you have to click below to enter!
 
 

Comments

jh walker said…
Thanks so much for hosting me on your site.