Take a Stand Against Domestic Violence

Today, we're hosting Mary H. Collins, one of my fellow Solstice Publishing Authors. Mary's book, Nadia's House, will release in September. She's here today to talk about the story behind the story.


Let’s Take a Stand to End Domestic Violence

 


In 1850, Tennessee became the first state in the United States to explicitly outlaw wife beating.

In 1959, one hundred and nine years later, Eliza Mae Mowery was kicked and stomped to death by her husband in a little place called Tin Can Holler in Athens Tennessee. At the time, Rozetta Mowery (Eliza’s daughter and author of the book, Tragedy in Tin Can Holler) was only 7 years old. She and her siblings were separated and sent to foster homes. Years later, after being in an abusive marriage herself, Rozetta gave up her job and her beautiful home to return to Tennessee to find out how her mother died. While researching, she found FBI records of the murder. Searching deeper, she found that her paternal grandmother, Grace Simms, was a serial killer. Grace lured men to her Meigs County home in Tennessee, taken their money then killed them.
 
 
As a young child, I visited my grandparents who lived probably no more than a half mile from Tin Can Holler. I remember walking to church there with my grandmother many times. People who lived in Tin Can Holler were poor and everyone knew everyone else. In the 1970’s they built housing projects there. 
Most domestic violence is caused by learning and reinforcement rather than by biology or genetics.
Domestic violence behaviors are learned through observation. Studies have found that nearly one half of abusive men grew up in homes where their father or step father was an abuser.
Though, in 92% of the domestic abuse cases, assailants reported use of alcohol or other drugs on the day of the assault, there is no real research to indicate that alcoholism or drug abuse causes domestic violence. 
 
 
 
Growing up in a household where her father abused her mother, Sharlyn expected it from Anthony. She accepted it as love. When he’d stay out all night, she welcomed him back with open arms. When he beat her, she thought she deserved it. She’d heard rumors of his cheating, but knew he loved only her. When he leaves her to fend for herself, she loses more than just the abusive man. He’d cleaned out her checking account and maxed her credit card, leaving her not only alone, but broke as well.
This story holds a lesson for the women out there who mistake abuse for love.
 
Nadia’s House, soon to be released, is the first in a series of novels portraying domestic violence. My stories are fictional, but hopefully they will help women break the cycle of spousal abuse. All royalties from the series will be donated to The Eliza Mae Mowery Domestic Violence Foundation in Athens, Tennessee.
 
I was born in Athens, TN. but spent most of my childhood in Detroit, MI. I grew up in a large family of 8 children...6 girls and 2 boys. When I was 13, my father moved us back to Tennessee and I attended Etowah High School. After a failed marriage, I enrolled in beauty school, got my diploma and worked as a hairdresser until 1991. At that time, I made a career change. I sold my equipment, closed up shop and entered the world of Glamor Photography. I’m now employed part-time with Portraits International. I write contemporary romance and have 8 novels published at this time. You can find my books at amazon.com, Barnes&noble.com, solsticepublishing.com or most on-line book stores.
 
 
 
 
 

Comments

Deborah Melanie said…
A thought provoking topic for the book .I wish you lots of sales, Mary.
Marie Lavender said…
That's definitely a sensitive, but necessary issue to bring to light these days, Mary. I applaud you in your efforts to make a difference in the lives of women who have to deal with abusers. I was in an abusive relationship once so I can totally relate. I wish you the best in all your endeavors, Mary H. Collins.