Spotlight: Eden's Mark by D.M. Sears


Today on Out of Control Characters, I'm spotlighting the author of the most amazing book. I've had the chance to read D.M. Sears novel, Eden's Mark, the first in the Ellethny Series, and I have to tell you – this is one of the best fantasy books I've seen in a long time.




Bio:
D.M. Sears lives in Missouri with her daughter and one crazy cat. Her first paranormal fantasy, Eden's Mark, was recently published by Solstice Publishing. D.M. Sears is a Director of an early childhood center and bakes cupcakes on the side. She loves most genres of books and has just signed a publishing contract for Eden's Darkness, Book 2 in the Ellethny Series, which will be out Feb/March 2014. 



Blurb:
What would you do if you had to save a world you knew nothing about?
Eden Arik was a typical teenager who lived the typical teenage life...until the pale eyes showed up in her dreams. The birthmark, Eden had always ignored, burned at the new nightmares, raising questions about her past. Eden finds out she is more than a mere human that is destined to save a world she never knew existed. Her only solitude is the woods behind her house where she meets a mysterious stranger with steel eyes. With the help of her guardians, two unlikely shape shifters, and a vampire who can bring her to her knees with one glance, Eden goes on to search the secrets of her past, present, and future. Along her way to discovery, Eden comes across Circenn; her grandmother, consort to the Darkness and the evil magic he possess. Circenn will stop at nothing to bring Eden to the darkness so she can harness her granddaughter's limitless power. Seduction, power, and death pave the way towards Eden's destiny and the fate of Ellethny. 

Amazon    

Excerpt:
I shivered. The cold seeped into my bones, weakening me, chilling me so deep I felt ice in my veins. All the exertion from running took all the energy I could muster, but I continued to run through the vast dark forest. Thick soupy fog covered the ground, increasing my difficulty. Branches scratched at my body, grabbing at my clothes, cutting deep in my flesh. Sweat poured down my forehead and into my eyes, blood mingled with my perspiration dripping to the ground. I was getting nowhere. Despite the fact that I was running…I was still so cold. My lungs felt heavy, ready to burst, as I took a lungful of air. To stop was to die; I pressed on, pushing the pain down, ignoring the fatigue that washed over my muscles. Someone or something followed me. My heart beat faster, harder, louder, as I looked around, not seeing anything except dark forest. Cold and unrelenting darkness smothered me, unforgiving, surrounded me on all sides enveloping me into its frigid embrace.
A feral growl echoed behind me, my body tense, waiting the attack. My vision useless, I tried to peer through the thick fog hoping to see something, anything. A gleam of white caught my attention. The thrall of those wicked pale eyes was drowning. Deep rage and a burning hunger for chaos and death flickered like a blue flame in those white nothing eyes. A shudder came over me; those eyes would devour everything in their path. I could only watch; my feet stuck in place unable to move as my fear surged on. The voided eyes closed on me, my heart raced, my skin prickled…I woke up. 

Comments