Evil Eyes Release Week - The Ex!




Ending a marriage is never a good thing. There are so many things to consider, but the most important is whether or not you will be better off apart. Sometimes, one spouse just doesn't want to give up and will go to any lengths to remain with you.


The Ex:
A marriage of constant put downs, the edge of physical violence, the sense I could never do anything right. I had a job, a good one. I was good at that job, earning praise and accolades, but at home, I was a loser, a person with no idea on how to clean a house, raise children, or prepare a simple meal – or so my former husband would have me think.
I am a child born in the fifties, raised in the turbulent sixties, coming of age in the swinging seventies. During this time, women were becoming stronger in the workplace. The lines between traditional jobs blurred and broke down. One thing I heard constantly during this time is that a successful woman at work often endured abuse in the home, but I never thought it could happen to me.
It did, but I escaped it. The divorce was difficult, often peppered with unwitnessed threats from my ex to take my kids and disappear. What mother would ever willingly let that happen?
Once the divorce was finalized, I thought I was free of him. Free of his threats. Free of his intimidation. Free of being under his thumb.
I was wrong.
It started the first night of his mid-week visitation. He showed up late, to pick up the son we had together. The first I knew of him being there was his peering through my window, not to watch me. That wasn't the creepy part. He was looking over my home, checking out everything he could find in sight. At the same time, he kept hollering "Is anyone home?" as if he couldn't see me or the couple I lived with to make ends meet.
I walked my son to the door, opened it, and commented that a normal person knocks on the door and waits for an answer. My ex's response was that he "had the right" to check out where his kid was stuck living. He pointed my son to his van then turned to me.
"I will take him away from you. My kid won't live in a commune."
I shivered and backed into the house. My eyes followed the van as it backed out of our driveway, wondering if that was the last time I'd see my child. What fool of a judge would hand over mid-week visitation to a man who had shown in court he was determined to me look unstable, but had proven he was himself with his outbursts and inability to control himself?
This was the beginning of a pattern of window observation, of late pickups, and even later drop offs. My daughter, not his but he wanted her as his, became nervous whenever he arrived to pick up my son. The window peeping turned into pounding on the door with loud demands of "Is anyone here?" It didn't matter how fast we answered, he was making the neighbors think we were avoiding him.
I had a restraining order given by the court when he tried to bull his way into my home prior to the divorce, so I called the police. Not once, but many times. Every time one of those upholders of law and order responded, their surly response was they didn't get involved in divorce cases. I demanded reports, in case my child disappeared. No one but me had heard my ex's threat to do that, so I wanted  reports of his stalking. The cops complied – reluctantly.
The fear I lived with that he would show up one night while we were sleeping never abated. Nor did the fear I would lose my child and never see him again, until we moved to another state, far from my ex.
Or so I thought.
His parents lived in another state near where I settled. Within a week of my arrival at my new home, they were driving by, back and forth, taking pictures of my child playing outside with other children. The fear returned, more intense this time, as I remembered my ex telling me how he got his older kids from their "unfit" mother.
Was I his next "unfit" mother?
In the end, calls to my attorney weren't the answer. Telling the police in my new hometown didn't work, as he lived in another state. Enduring the constant phone calls about how I'd never see my son again if I didn't return to where my ex lived didn't do anything but bring more terror. I found relief in a way I never thought would work.
He was constantly late or absent with his child support. I went to the state about that, demanding that he be forced to give me the money through his check. The state people put a garnishment on his wages and tax returns. The loss of income did what nothing else did. My ex decided harassing me, stalking me, would only keep his child from him. He stopped.
I had a restraining order. It didn't work, because the police refused to get involved. I had to find a method of stopping my stalker without anyone else's help. To this day, thinking about all the things I had to endure still ties my stomach into knots. My only advice is to use any means possible to keep your stalker away from you.



Author Bio:

KC Sprayberry started writing young, first as a diarist, and later through an interest in English and creative writing. Her first experience with publication came when she placed third in The Freedoms Foundation at Valley Forge contest while in the Air Force, but her dedication to writing came after she had her youngest child, now in his senior year of high school.
Her family lives in Northwest Georgia where she spends her days creating stories about life in the south, and far beyond. More than a dozen of her short stories have appeared in several magazines. Five anthologies feature other short stories. She has three books that are Amazon best sellers: Softly Say Goodbye, Who Am I?, and Mama's Advice. Her other novels available are: Take Chances, The Ghost Catcher, Family Curse … Times Two, Secret From The Flames, Where U @, The Wrong One, Pony Dreams, and Grace.

  


Blurb:

Lisa is so ready for a break from the grueling first semester of college. Along with five other friends, she returns to Landry, and hopes to have nothing but fun. Within days, one of the group is the victim of a vindictive stalker, and Lisa herself is now in the man's sights. No matter what she does, she can't shake this person.
Fred has a little problem, but he figures he can take care of it himself, if he achieves fame with his folk rock band, Olney-Oak Lane Sounds. Then he happens to see this beautiful woman, who turns out to be just like every other woman he's met. He takes care of her, and is immediately drawn to Lisa. No one will get between Fred and Lisa, absolutely no one.
On Christmas Eve, Lisa has to fight for her life and sanity after Fred kidnaps her. She turns out to be very different from the other women, in a way he never figured.



Excerpt:

The wind picks up, intensifying into a howl. Snow swirls in circles everywhere. Lisa hears John calling for her again. She turns around to tell him that they need the police, but stops when a strange voice echoes all around her.
"Lisa," the man says. "I love you, Lisa. You're mine forever."
Lisa opens her mouth. All that comes out is a completely terrorized scream.



Comments