Character Interview—Starlight’s Curse







For the author: K.C. Sprayberry
       Talk to us about Starlight’s Curse.

The South is full of mansions of the former glory, some restored to how they were back then, and others left to rot over time. Those homes are the ones that fascinate me, drive me to wonder what stories their walls could tell. Starlight’s Curse was born of a local home that was once beautiful but even more than a million dollars in renovations couldn’t restore to its former glory. Seeing that place, one can’t help but get a creepy feeling… and that was the beginning of Starlight.


2.      Author Bio
Born and raised in Southern California’s Los Angeles basin, K.C. Sprayberry spent years traveling the United States and Europe while in the Air Force before settling in northwest Georgia. A new empty nester with her husband of more than twenty years, she spends her days figuring out new ways to torment her characters and coming up with innovative tales from the South and beyond.

She’s a multi-genre author who comes up with ideas from the strangest sources. Some of her short stories have appeared in anthologies, others in magazines.




  Website/Blog/Twitter links:  




For the character: Jayme Barclay
Introduce yourself to our readers. Where do you fit into the story? What should we know about you?
 

My name is Jayme Barclay. I grew up in Landry. Went away to college but came back after only a semester. My baby, Tawni, was all I cared about once she was born. Not that some of the old women around here thought the same. They were always giving me trouble about being an “unwed mother.” Everyone wanted to know who Tawni’s daddy was, but I couldn’t let those women destroy his life, like they tried to do to me. No one was going to make me hide away in shame… until that night.

What are your feelings about this story?

We have to tell this story. Everyone has to know, so they realize it’s never all right to accept what you know is wrong as the truth. And to fight for what you believe in. At first, after I lost my baby, I just wanted to crawl into a hole somewhere and join her. But then I found a reason to live, a reason to tell her daddy what I took from him, and a reason to fight back.

How do you feel about being a character in this book?

People won’t see me at my best, but this the time frame of this story was possibly the worst moment of my life. So, I like being a character in this book. Everyone will think I’m a fool at the beginning, for running away and hiding, but I come back and I’m ready to fight to do what’s right. That’s all that counts.



What do you see in your future? (No spoilers please!)

I love my future. And if you want to know why, you’re going to have to read the whole book.

Is there another Starlight’s Curse in the future? Will you be part of it?

Oh, can’t spoil the ending, but honestly… I’m not sure.

Say a movie producer comes knocking. What actor/actress would you want to play you and why?

Poppy Montgomery. She not only looks exactly like me, but her role in Unforgettable is the same kind of person I am.


For the character: Brad Patterson
Introduce yourself to our readers. Where do you fit into the story? What should we know about you?


Brad Patterson here. Jock in high school, graduated Purdue with a Criminology degree, and came back home. Boy, was I knocked over with a feather when I saw the girl I’ve always loved had a kid. And there was no daddy around. That didn’t matter to me. Tawni and me? We got along great. She was always like my kid. You should have seen her fishing when she wasn’t but six. Sat for hours until a catfish grabbed her bait. And her mama, what can I say? I’ve loved Jayme since we were both in high school. One day, I’m gonna marry Jayme.

What are your feelings about this story?

I got knocked in the gut by a bunch of stuff that happened in this story. Nobody, and I do mean nobody, should ever go through what Jayme endured. That evil, wicked stepmother of hers deserves whatever happens to her. Nobody hurts my Jayme and gets away with it.

How do you feel about being a character in this book?

Wouldn’t be a book without me. (laughs) Well, I guess it could, but I certainly wouldn’t want to let Jayme handle a situation like she faced alone. Although, cough, cough, I still want pictures of that one move she made. Lots of pictures.

What do you see in your future? (No spoilers please!)

Oh, my future is definitely looking up. Jayme and I… ah, that’ll spoil the ending. Guess you’ll have to figure out where Jayme and I go by reading the book.

Is there another Starlight’s Curse in the future? Will you be part of it?

I’d like to say I hope not, but I’m a cop. There’ll always be jerks in this world trying to make people hurt just because they can. Sure hope there really isn’t another one like what we went through. That just plain hurt.

Say a movie producer comes knocking. What actor/actress would you want to play you and why?

A movie? You mean someone would actually want to make a movie about our story? Well… I think Eddie Cibrian would do a fine job portraying me. Kind of looks like me too.



For the character: Sheriff Big Jake Haskins
Introduce yourself to our readers. Where do you fit into the story? What should we know about you?


 
You want to know about me? I’m just a country sheriff, who grew up on the mountain. Like a lot of mountain folk, I didn’t have an easy life. Big Jake Haskins is my name. And I treat everyone fair, until they break the law. You see, I’m not at all like the typical Southern sheriff. That’s because I made a vow when I was just thirteen, and I aim to keep it the rest of my life..

What are your feelings about this story?

Sorry story, if you ask me. If the sheriffs who’d been in charge when I was a kid had been honest, it wouldn’t have happened. But they were as corrupt as they come, so it was up to me to fix things. Took me forty years to figure everything out, but I’m not someone who gives up easy.

How do you feel about being a character in this book?

Pretty good tale, if you ask me. Kind of glad I got to be in it. As I said, I grew up hard, didn’t ever have much. Thanks to a pretty good bunch of people who believed in me, I’m going places. Might not be too happy about that now, but things will change. They sure will..

What do you see in your future? (No spoilers please!)

Oh, a lot of things. Definitely changes. Can’t say much about that, though. It would give away too much.

Is there another Starlight’s Curse in the future? Will you be part of it?

(Leans back in comfortable chair, shakes head slowly) Now, I’m a realist. Had to be, after what I saw and experienced as a kid. I’d sure like to say there’s no chance of all that happening again. But I know people, and some are pure evil.

Say a movie producer comes knocking. What actor/actress would you want to play you and why?

A movie. Snorts. Who’d want to make a movie. Nods head. Yeah, I can see there being a movie. It’s got all the elements of a good story. Who would I want to play me? Why, that David Boreanaz fellow. You know, that guy who’s in Bones.

Comments