Everybody Reads YA ~ Soar High 1: Standing Strong






Happy “Everybody Reads YA” Sunday! Today I’m sharing an excerpt from my YA collection of stories of survival: Soar High 1: Standing Strong. Abusers are everywhere, usually unnoticed by others.





I sit in the crowded waiting room, watching people rushing around behind a set of hydraulic doors. Hunching my shoulders, I stare at them, wishing for the doctor to come through and tell me everything will be all right. It has to have been my imagination that her leg looked funny after she fell downstairs.

Please, someone, come out and tell me that Mom will be taking us home.

Pulling up my legs, I half turn and stare. The windowpanes are frosting. It might snow. I hope it doesn’t. Snow means no school. I want to be in school. Turning back, I watch in terror as the doctor slowly approaches. He’s looking past me. I turn and see flashing blue lights. He’s called the police. I can’t talk to the police.

Where’s Mom?


About the Author

Born and raised in Southern California’s Los Angeles basin, K.C. Sprayberry spent years traveling the United States and Europe while in the Air Force before settling in northwest Georgia. A new empty nester with her husband of more than twenty years, she spends her days figuring out new ways to torment her characters and coming up with innovative tales from the South and beyond.

She’s a multi-genre author who comes up with ideas from the strangest sources. Some of her short stories have appeared in anthologies, others in magazines.






Parents, siblings, spouses, friends. People you love. People you thought loved you. People whose truth you keep hidden, even from yourself.

People who make you feel guilty for the harm they cause to you and others, by their choice. People who cause you to doubt yourself into thinking it’s your fault.

K.C. Sprayberry presents a collection of devastating short stories on relationship abuse. To those in the midst of such a relationship, stand up, stand free, and stand strong.



Comments