Everybody Reads YA ~ Frozen Heart, Summer Thaw






Happy “Everybody Reads YA” Sunday! Today I’m sharing an excerpt from my YA short story: Frozen Heart, Summer Thaw. Military families have to move, often without notice or care for where a child is in school.





My ice skates safely tucked into their hard-sided bag, I walk out of the locker room. My mind whirls with all that I have to do before the big regional meet in a little less than two months, right before I start my senior year of high school. One thing I know that I can count on. I have no worries about anything preventing me from doing what had kept me sane the last seventeen years, eleven months, twenty-three days.

Well, it has actually only been fifteen years, eleven months, and twenty-three days. I didn’t begin ice skating until I was two. And I can’t wait to do regionals, even though the weather outside is hotter than hot, hot enough to as my dad loves to say, “fry an egg on the sidewalk.” Although why anyone would want to do that, I have no clue. Sounds pretty stupid to me. Then again, my dad is always suggesting dumb stuff, as if that will make up all the times he has totally messed up my life.


About the Author

Born and raised in Southern California’s Los Angeles basin, K.C. Sprayberry spent years traveling the United States and Europe while in the Air Force before settling in northwest Georgia. A new empty nester with her husband of more than twenty years, she spends her days figuring out new ways to torment her characters and coming up with innovative tales from the South and beyond.

She’s a multi-genre author who comes up with ideas from the strangest sources. Some of her short stories have appeared in anthologies, others in magazines.






Blaire’s heart freezes over when she discovers she has to move to Alaska and then loses her mom in an accident. Once there, she finds a kindred spirit in Gerry and learns to open her heart again.



Comments