Everybody Reads YA ~ Who Am I?






Happy “Everybody Reads YA” Sunday! Today I’m sharing an excerpt from my YA novella: Who Am I? We all long to know who we are. Some teens are never really sure.





“A new semester, a new school, and who am I looking at? Sure isn’t me – whoever that is.”

I stare into a mirror in the new house my family moved into last night, and I don’t recognize the person staring back at me.

For as long back as I can remember, I’ve had at least two different names every year – Layla, Helena, Penelope (nicknamed Perky, definitely not me!), and many, many more, far too tedious to mention. At times, I get confused, and I’ve always wondered what my real name is. Where I’m from comes in a very close second. Third is my desire to have a real life, friends, and a future.

Like that will ever happen.

Today begins another life, as another person. The only difference is the size of the town where we are. Instead of a major city, where we can blend in, we’re in a rural Northwest Georgia town, so small everyone has to know everyone else.


About the Author

Born and raised in Southern California’s Los Angeles basin, K.C. Sprayberry spent years traveling the United States and Europe while in the Air Force before settling in northwest Georgia. A new empty nester with her husband of more than twenty years, she spends her days figuring out new ways to torment her characters and coming up with innovative tales from the South and beyond.

She’s a multi-genre author who comes up with ideas from the strangest sources. Some of her short stories have appeared in anthologies, others in magazines.






Brooke English never belongs. She changes schools twice a year, as often as her looks and name change. Her thoughts about belonging to her "family" get even more viral when they stop in Landry, Georgia. Then things start to go wrong. Then Brooke starts to have dreams.

Will she find the answers she wants? Or will her worst fears become reality?



Comments