Everybody Loves YA ~ Mama's Advice






Happy “Everybody Reads YA” Sunday! Today I’m sharing an excerpt from my paranormal short story: Mama’s Advice. Lorelei leans heavily on her deceased mama.





“Never let a boy take advantage of you, baby girl. That’s one of the most important things I wanted to tell you afore this disease took me, but I never had a chance.”

A tall, slender seventeen-year-old girl stands under the shady branches of a majestic oak tree. Lorelei Perrijames crouches down in front of a tombstone. With a finger, she traces the name on the cold, unyielding granite: Bethany Elizabeth Perrijames.

“I still miss you so much, Mama, even though you’ve been gone a year.” Lorelei sniffles. “I miss your hugs. Your silly pranks, like the day you told me my dress was caught in my underwear.” Even if I totally freaked, but that was part of the fun. “Mostly, I miss all the things you taught me.”

About the Author

Born and raised in Southern California’s Los Angeles basin, K.C. Sprayberry spent years traveling the United States and Europe while in the Air Force before settling in northwest Georgia. A new empty nester with her husband of more than twenty years, she spends her days figuring out new ways to torment her characters and coming up with innovative tales from the South and beyond.

She’s a multi-genre author who comes up with ideas from the strangest sources. Some of her short stories have appeared in anthologies, others in magazines.
 




Lorelei loses what's left of her family close to graduation, but she still has Mama to lean on, or rather she has Mama's ghost. At first, Lorelei ignores the opinion about her boyfriend, Chase, but then she figures out he is acting strangely and has a new tattoo covering a scar he never had before.

Chase, however, isn't one to give up on a girl. He dumps them not the other way around, until Mama's ghost gives Lorelei the strength shut him out of her life.



Comments