Books for Everyone

Books for Everyone

2/19/17

Overcoming Psychological Abuse









The 2017 Everybody YA #SundayBookBlog continues with more fun, excitement, and tension! We’re also in #MysteryThrillerWeek!




 

#2 Preditors & Editors Readers Poll 2015



Psychological abuse leaves no visible scars. The victims often find themselves wondering what they have done wrong to bring this upon them. The long term effects of this type of abuse can be as devastating as physical abuse, but without anything for a person to understand why the individual cringes when certain words or phrases are said. How does one overcome this abuse? How do teens withstand the belittling commentary of a person who is supposed to protect them?







When their younger twin siblings were murdered by their cold-blooded father, Shane and Keri’s own twin connection deepened. Their father shamed Shane and Keri into silence, and then went on to bring four more children into a house shuddering under the weight of his unpredictable temper.



Ten years later, what should have been a regular visitation turns into a horrific nightmare. Trapped in the Superstition Mountains with an addicted and dangerous father, Keri’s faith and determination wavers, but she knows she must save her brothers and sisters and return all of them to the home they love.



She now faces one insurmountable obstacle. He can’t afford to let her go.



Carly and I sneak up the walkway to the backdoor of the house where I live with my parents and five siblings. We’ve done nothing wrong. There is no reason for us to be sneaking into my house, except one… him.



“Are you sure about this?” she whispers.



“Yeah.” I cast a guilty glance at the driveway.



Shane’s truck isn’t here. He must still be hanging with his best bud, Axe. Heat rushes up my face whenever I think about that hunk. Axe not Shane. Big Bro is anything but a hunk. Well, he is kind of cute, and a lot of girls like him, but a hunk? Give me a break. None of the girls hot for him know that he stinks up a bathroom or dumps his clothes all over the place for me to pick up.



I’ll forgive Carly for thinking like that. She’s good for Shane, if he’d just get over the “everybody will hate us for dating” thing. Big deal if she’s African American and we’re white. Nobody cares about that anymore.



“Your dad will pop a cork if he catches me in the house,” Carly says. “You know he hates… you know.”



We never talk about that. So what if my dad is the biggest bigot in the world? The rest of my family is totally cool with me having Carly around. They like her. She’s funny, and an awesome bestie.



We both stop in front of the back door. I reach out a hand, but don’t turn the knob when I hear shouting.






No comments: