Identity








Welcome to Sunday Blog Share! Today, we’re talking identity and teens. Every teen has wondered at some point if they’re with their “real” family. After all, everyone else in their home is so very different from what they are. That means they were switched at birth or stolen in the middle of the night. Most of the time, this isn’t the case. Occasionally, the truth is mind boggling!







Brooke English never belongs. She changes schools twice a year, as often as her looks and name change. Her thoughts about belonging to her "family" get even more viral when they stop in Landry, Georgia. Then things start to go wrong. Then Brooke starts to have dreams.

Will she find the answers she wants? Or will her worst fears become reality?





"A new semester, a new school, and who am I looking at? Sure isn't me – whoever that is."

I stare into a mirror at the new house, and I don't recognize the person staring back at me.

For as long back as I can remember, I've had at least two different names every year – Layla, Helena, Penelope (nicknamed Perky, definitely not me!), and many, many more, far too tedious to mention. At times, I get confused, and I've always wondered what my real name is. Where I'm from comes in a very close second. Third is my desire to have a real life, friends, and a future. We moved here last night. I’ve lost count of the houses. Never homes.

Like that will ever happen.




Today begins another life, as another person. The only difference is the size of the town where we are. Instead of a major city, where we can blend in, we're in a rural Northwest Georgia town, so small everyone has to know everyone else.

What are Mama and Daddy thinking? Their swindle will never work here.

They spend their days "suckering rubes" – their words, not mine – while I'm in school with my older brother, Tim. The scam is always the same, insurance to cover disaster losses. They sell it cheap, and then use the cash, along with credit cards they get through another scam.

A glance at the alarm clock sends me into a slight panic. It's the very same as every other Monday is after we move, like every six months. It has been this way all my life, but I still have problems looking at the person I am now



                                               About the K.C. Sprayberry

Born and raised in Southern California’s Los Angeles basin, K.C. Sprayberry spent years traveling the United States and Europe while in the Air Force before settling in northwest Georgia. A new empty nester with her husband of more than twenty years, she spends her days figuring out new ways to torment her characters and coming up with innovative tales from the South and beyond.

She’s a multi-genre author who comes up with ideas from the strangest sources. Those who know her best will tell you that nothing is safe or sacred when she is observing real life. In fact, she considers any situation she witnesses as fair game when plotting a new story.

                                 Find out more about my books at these social media sites:
















Comments

Martin Kloess said…
Interesting insights. Thank you